Extending Life of Your Laptop Battery
Laptop batteries nowadays are made of Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion). Previously laptop batteries were made of NiCad (Nickel Cadmium) or Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH). All types of laptop batteries costs and thus it makes sense to conserve them as long as you can. Here are some of the basic yet important tips that will help your laptop battery last longer:
1. Full Charging and Discharging: Charge your laptop battery fully and discharge it fully too. It is applicable only for NiCad and NiMH batteries (NiMH batteries being better than NiCad in terms of less maintenance and better technology). Don’t charge the laptops with NiCad and NiMH batteries after a small usage, wait till the battery reaches 10% power backup and then charge.
2. Use Operating System Power Management: To reduce load on laptop battery, use power management features such as hard disk, local network card, Wi-Fi, display etc. power off in case of inactivity. Avoid playing DVD’s, running video files, data transfer and other heavy load tasks when the laptop is on battery.
3. No to Extreme temperatures and Harsh environment: Don’t leave your laptop with batteries in extreme hot, cold conditions and tough environment. E.g.: In open sunlight with very hot conditions, snowy weather, cold waves and rain.
4. No Overheating: If you work in an environment where the power rarely goes or you have a power backup facility, then plug out your laptop battery and keep it in your laptop bag separately. You can use it when you feel that the battery backup is required. Also, use the battery once in a month till it discharges completely. (For NiCad and NiMH batteries only).
5. Use Branded Batteries: Always use branded batteries of good reputed companies. Don’t use local, bad quality batteries as it may damage your laptop. The money saved by buying low quality unbranded batteries isn’t worth it as you might have to spend a lot in laptop repairs due to poor power supply from the inferior battery that might damage your laptop electronic parts. Take bill of the branded battery, check its warranty and verify its genuineness.
6. Cleaning Battery Contacts: Clean the battery contacts at the battery and laptop end once in few months. Use cotton with slight isopropyl alcohol to clean the deposit on the battery and at battery pins at laptop. It leads to better conductivity and current flow. Oh! don’t forget to disconnect the power supply to the laptop when cleaning the battery connectors at the laptop side.
7. Use Prescribed Power Cord: In case of any change in the original power cord of the laptop, check the laptop manual and buy the suggested power cord only. This ensures proper supply and a quality cord that doesn’t break or get short circuit in normal use.
8. Discharge and Disconnect In Case of Long Non Usage: If you are not going to use laptop for few days, then discharge the battery fully and disconnect it.
9. Take Proper Care: Treat your laptop battery nicely; don’t mishandle it carelessly by dropping, throwing, letting the children play or accidentally pouring coffee, tea or water on it. If you take care of your laptop battery it will also take care of your laptop .
Hope that you use these tips to increase age of your laptop battery. Did you find them useful?
Note: For receiving future posts of this blog, click at either the RSS icon or the text:
Subscribe in a reader
To subscribe by email, click on the following link:
- Related Blogs on extending laptop battery life
- PC Performance Clinic Blog » Blog Archive » HyerSpace with …
- Related Blogs on healthy laptop battery
- dell inspiron 1501 laptop review
- Dana’s Avenue » Blog Archive » Oh It’s Dead
- Related Blogs on increasing life of laptop battery
- Acer Aspire One A150-B Laptop Review – Notebook Specs, Deals, Pics …
- Related Blogs on laptop battery advice
- Laptop Battery Life
- How to Increase the Life of your Laptop Battery | Best Laptop Computer
- Definitive Information On How You Can Buy The Best Laptop Computer …
- MSI Wind U120-024US 10-Inch Mini Laptop Battery High Capacity
- How can we get a receptive to advice behind upon my toshiba laptop …
- Related Blogs on taking care of your laptop battery
- TIQY » Sony VAIO VGN-TX670P Ultraportable Laptop
- Universal Laptop Battery Purchasing Guide | NipunInfoTech Blog …
No related posts.
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.
This entry was posted on Sunday, January 27th, 2008 at 2:08 am and is filed under Laptop. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.